Friday, February 29, 2008

Bright 321, Task 2

Isolated showers, falling as snow at first this morning. That was the Alpine forecast, doesn't sound like Bright in the summer does it?

Winds were lighter today so we went to the Pines. The task was elapsed time to Yarrawonga via 2 turnpoints. Quite a few people bombed out just after launch opened, the second wave off the hill jumped into a better cycle and we climbed out no problems.

We had an airspace lid at 4500 ft, if you go 100 meters into it, you get a zero for the day. There were huge thermals boosting people towards cloudbase/airspace, I saw lots and lots of spirals being held in for long stretches - I wonder if blacking out trying to avoid airspace would get us any brownie points with the airspace board of whatever quasi-government that monitors it with spy satellites?

All I could think about was how to stay under 4500 ft - after my share of 5G spirals, my brain got smashed into my spinal column and in my altered state I flew right past the 1st turnpoint, and ooops, there goes my race as I was downwind of it in a blink of an eye.... As someone from a small town would say: "That'll learn ya..!"

Looks like we will be out there again tomorrow for some more acro moves beneath the invisible lid at 4500 feet.

Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home