Thursday, March 13, 2008

Beep Beep

This morning the haze was gone from the air and Mt. Hotham reported light south - time to go flying.

The day started off slow, so we watched droves of students dive off of Mystic - these students aren't signed off yet, they couldn't have more than an hour airtime but they were learning how to thermal and were skying out!

Which meant it was time to get on the horse and ride. Clearspot gave a good boost above 2000 m, and the crossing to Mt. Porepunka was going well, at 55k/hr.

Once on Porepunkah, my wing was being pulled up the spine and I climbed slowly over the top where I found the elevator up to 2k again. I left Mt. Porepunkah and pushed toward Myrtleford, crosswind aloft and headwind down low. Chappo got boosted over the mountain just behind me and went over the back, towards, well Gundowring way.

The south aloft had shifted to west and I wonder how far Chappo got - I could see coming back up the Kiewa but the crossing back to the Ovens valley could have been interesting. I didn't get too far down the ridge, the incessant valley wind was killing my glide.

The forecast looks dodgy, so I am going to Melbourne for a couple days to check out the city.

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Michael Armstrong said...

Hi Brett,
I was one of Fred's students first to launch that morning, my first successful reverse launch.
I noticed you taking shots of pilots setting up for launch, do you have any shots of the students launch's?
Had an epic flight - topped out in the first thermal, marked it for others that i saw launching below me.

Regards
Michael Armstrong

 

Post a Comment

<< Home