Wednesday, March 11, 2009

How to Influence the Weather

If you want to fly with really amazing clouds, actually the best clouds of the whole flying season - I have a simple technique for you - leave your camera at home.

Two days ago we had a lot of instability that made the sky 'go off' here in Bright - so we flew away from the mountains where it was going to OD, and out onto the flats where the clouds were tall but with narrow bases, and it was cloud flying nirvana... just like connecting the dots on those 'draw by the numbers' coloring books you did as a kid...

I could have gone really far (excuses, excuses..) but my unofficial retrieve drivers were on vacation and I didn't want to stress test that relationship, so I went cross-wind to the biggest town in the flats where I knew they could find me, and petrol, etc

We spent the log weekend in Corryong with the Melbourne club, and the Amerikaners were there too, so we flew hard and did nice 4+ hour triangles.  We flew 3 days at Corryong - Corry takes a west wind and Bright gets rough and ugly in a west...  I highly recommend that site if you have a driver.

The last big comp of the season starts Saturday, the Bright Open...  let the weather gods smile on us.  Pic is of Geoff Wong over Mt. Mittamatite, just NW of Mt Elliot, the launch at Corryong.

Blue skies! 

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Benn said...

Dude, I didn't know you'd pulled another hundy, nice work! My head really has been other places the last couple months...there's always next season! B out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home