Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mystic Route 1

Australian Slang word for the Day:
"Dinkie Die" which means "The truth"

Mystic Flight Report:

Yesterday's post said we were grounded for the last two days because of strong south wind - today I heard people flew both days at a nearby south facing site called "The Pines".... You just need 4 wheel drive to get to launch.

Today we chose Mystic Route 1 as our task, which is a 5 leg 45km task. We chose a 1pm start, and the house thermal was cooking off as usual giving us a fast trip to 2100m. I don't know the valley systems here yet, so I got lost and bombed out just before the last turnpoint. Today was unusual in that there were no clouds.

At Little Pyramid I had a really strong climb that peaked at 1600 ft/min (8m/s), I topped out at 2550m, and my hands were freezing. I risked letting go of the brakes to put the fat gloves on, and the wing stayed open..... A few minutes later I heard someone on the radio say they also got an 8m/s climb. The valley systems here are pretty complex and the wind directions can be hard to figure out, maybe I will have the basics by the time the regional weekend comps start in two weeks.

When we came home a swallow had gotten blown down the chimney and was stuck in the wood burning stove, so we opened all the windows and let it out, the little bird is skying out somewhere right now....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home