Sunday, March 04, 2007

Worlds 2007, Day 9

The pilots are heading up the hill as I post this, but the sky is very overcast, it doesn't look great. Meanwhile, the following is a small portion of an Interview with Tom McCune, Top Ranked US Team Pilot, on Day 5 of the Worlds

Brett: What were the biggest challenges you faced to get here - to compete in the World Paragliding Championships in Manilla, Australia?

Tom: Probably one of the bigger challenges was getting the time off to go to the competition. Having been married now for 21 years and I have two teenagers at home, it's not always easy to get away for that much time. Convincing my wife to let me go for a whole month, that was the biggest thing.

Another challenge came in 2002 - let me say that sometimes bad things happen to people and good things can become of it.

By 2002, years of lower back problems had me to the place where I could barely walk, and when we got a new manager at the body shop where I worked, he decided to get rid of me. So I could have taken the bad news and went down into the basement and dug holes with it and sank even lower, but I tried to keep a positive attitude, and fortunately I got the back surgery I needed in 2003 and it took a while to get the pain levels under control and the flexibility back. And so getting laid off was really the start of how I got here, competing in the Worlds.

The other big thing is all the financial support which has made it possible for me to be here, I want to thank all those who helped us get here.

Brett: Do you have an idea of where you want to place in this comp?

Tom: As best as I possibly can, and I want to have a lot of fun.

Brett: Well, everyone says to themselves, "If I could be in the top X, then I'll be stoked, Have you picked a number like that?

Tom: Yah.

Brett: Come on Tom, what's your number??


Tom: "I want the podium!" I have the same skills that they do, and I'm flying as fast a wing as they fly - I just have to make good judgements in the air, and fly fast... It's in my competitive nature to be at the top.

Brett: After the worlds, what is your next flying goal?


Tom: I don't have any plans for comps, I'd like to keep doing them, but time may not allow me to. I'm in my mid 40's and I've always been competitive throughout my life, but there is a certain time factor there that doesn't allow somebody to do anything they want to do. I just have to take it one day at a time, and see what happens.

Brett: So this might be it?

Tom: This might be it. Sadly, this might be it.

Brett: You mean you might be just a weekend warrior after the worlds? And do one comp a year? Is that enough for you?

No. I love competitions, but if I only get one week off a year, it probably won't be to do a competition, it would be more family time. Getting the time off is going to be difficult, but then again I'm keeping an open mind, I mean, some pilots are paid to fly...

Tom was in 10th place overall after 3 tasks at the Worlds, we wish him all the best!

1 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great postings, Bret.

Great interview with Tom. If anyone is interested in more details about Tom's road to Worlds, I ran a feature on him in The Seattle Times right before Worlds started:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=nwwparaglider22&date=20070222&query=%22Tom+McCune%22

Dan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home