Sunday, December 20, 2009

Conargo - means "FlatLands"


Photo by Hamish Barker, taken somewhere near Conargo, NSW.

I finally got to see the tow site near Conargo, the little town in the middle of nowhere that has been the start of some very long flights in New South Wales.

13 pilots spent the weekend towing up and flying into the outback in conditions that were pretty challenging.

They didn't have enough drivers, so I sold my weekend to them and took on the challenge of finding them using only a cheap chinese handheld radio and a gps...

Time to get a 3G mobile - I learned that GSM mobiles are totally useless away from civilization.

They all had spots that were sending me their landing coords, but I didn't get the info until  2 days later while on the drive back home...  But I did find all the pilots.

I learned a few tricks too - like how to turn someones bearing/distance from take off into GPS coordinates using the 76s... (thanks Hamish/Benn).

I am going back out there to go towing when the conditions get good, must break Steve Forslund's longest flight, as I can't stand hearing about it for another year...

Take care all my friends!




Brett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home