Thursday, December 14, 2006

The 1000 miles a day road Kit

I am now in Canungra, 1600 kilometers from where I made my last post. It's nice up here, we hope the flying is going to be good.

The 1000 miles a day road Kit

I have discovered how people with blown out backs (I am one of them) can now drive all day, and even into the night if you really have somewhere to get to. I used to think 5 or 6 hours was my absolute limit - my "pain threshold" for driving so to speak. But I shattered that myth with the help of a few tools, which I call the "1000 miles a day road kit".

My kit had 4 mandatory items: A bottle of Ibuprofen, a six pack of Red Bull, a kidney Belt, and an ipod. All of that is self-explanitory, except a word of caution regarding the red bull, you shouldn't drink more than 2 cans per day, (it says so right on the can).

One more piece of information which you must have or all of the above will be totally useless (and you could suffer permanent nerve damage) - you have to recline your seat until it is approximately at 135 degrees. You can't reach the steering wheel when reclined that far back, so slide your seat forward until your knees touch the dashboard, - and don't forget to re-adjust all your mirrors! My steering wheel tilts, I hope your's does too, so tilt it all the way down so it doesn't block your view of the road.

I don't recommend the above for city driving, this is for long haul, big freeway blitzing. A couple more things, one key to getting 1000 miles a day is this: the only thing you can stop for is gas, so get nice and dehydrated before you start because the only time you can get a proper pee is when you are filling the tank. Guys - take a couple empty wide mouth gatorade bottles, and for god's sake, after they are full, don't throw them out the window! For you girls, ignore this part (I don't know how to handle the toilet breaks for the girls....)

Take some food too - preferably salty food with lots of fat in it - you aren't getting out of your car for the next 12 hours, so grab some candy bars, peanuts, salami, cheese, that kind of energy snack.

Be sure to strap the kidney belt on tight, take a couple ibuprofen every 2-3 hours, wash them down with some red bull, put the Ipod on shuffle, and and start driving! You will have plenty of time to learn how to read maps and drive at the same time. Air conditioning and cruise control help a lot, but my car has neither, so don't let that stop you, and remember, rest stops are for losers!

PS. After you arrive at your destination, don't plan on doing anything for the next day or two, because you will be groggy and irritable, your liver and kidneys may not be functioning properly, so don't operate heavy machinery or try to do something dumb like fly a paraglider either.

(Disclamier: I am not responsible for anyone that tries this)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home