Saturday, December 09, 2006

Keep Left, Keep Left...

How do you know when a Yank is driving a car in Australia? The wind shield wipers go on when the car makes a turn.

And that is because in Australia, everything is backwards - you drive on the left, the drivers seat is on the right, the turn signals and wind shield wipers are switched around, and on a manual, you shift with your left hand.

So I set off today for Canungra, 1000 miles of total backwards-ness. Watch out Aussie's, here I come!! My plan is to repeat "Keep left, Keep left..." as I drive for the next 3 days.

Regarding the fires, they are getting bigger, but a north wind blew the smoke out yesterday, and Brian and Karl flew from Tawonga Gap to Myrtleford hill to Bright. It was a 10k day. I was packing the car, bad excuse, I know.

I doubt I will post for the next several days, but Canungra is being flown a lot, so stay tuned.

Brett

1 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even worse is the return to the USA, where you'll find yourself doing the very same thing, on the left. It was actually *worse* for me to re-adapt to US driving rules than it was to switch to Aussie in the first place.

It's that first turn out of the rental car place in Sydney that gets me....all of a sudden I'm staring at four lanes of oncoming traffic. Ack!

MGF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home