Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mystic Cup - Game On

Ahh yes... The Mystic Cup has begun. Today's task was excellent - Mystic route 4 was chosen. Route 4 zig zags slowly east and ends in Harrietville for a 36k task.

The thermals were tracking over the back fast and hitting an inversion layer about 1200 meters, but above 1200 the climbs cleaned up and I was able to get away from launch with two other gliders. The first turnpoint was just across the valley, but the next turnpoint was a little grim - several gliders dirted. A big thanks to the pilot on the green and white glider climbing out alone there - that climb saved me!

On the way to the Smoko turnpoint I found a nice climb that got me into a huge convergence line. I flew a straight line and just kept climbing, topping out at 2690m - this is the highest I've been during my month stay here. After hitting Smoko turnpoint, it was back to the convergence line to tank up on altitude.

I got to Little Pyramid high but got low coming into Harrietville, the ridge to the East wasn't working (but it was working my glider...) and I landed 5k short of goal.

Thirty pilots flew and 4 made goal. Five bucks per day gets you into this B grade comp which counts towards the Australian National ladder. We have 6 more weekends left in the Mystic Cup. My hat is off the organizers: Barb Scott, Hamish Barker, and Karl Texler, a job well done.

I just heard that Mystic is closed tomorrow (Monday) due to fire danger, so we are thinking about flying Tawonga Gap.

Stay Tuned!

Brett

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger steve said...

Brett,
Fly miles instead the kilometer thing is probably confusing you.

Steve(my mentor is slipping)Forslund

 

Post a Comment

<< Home