Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Bakers Gully

Anyone that has flown to Clearspot from Mystic has looked down into Baker's Gully. Baker's Gully is a large narrow canyon with a couple crappy landing paddocks at the bottom. Today I got to see how crappy the landing paddocks really are. I chose the sloping clear cut at the back of the valley, mostly because that's all I could glide to. The sink going to clearspot was sick - full bar and a 2:1 glide. I guess leaving Mystic at 1500m didn't help either. I almost climbed out of the hole, but almost isn't enough.

It's a doable place to land, if you don't mind rows of burnt stumps and huge thermals kicking off around you. Anyway, my curiosity about landing in Baker's Gully has been fully satisfied.

Yesterday I spoke too soon about the fires - while the fires aren't a threat to us, apparently one nearby has flared up, because today the Bright valley was filled with smoke. High fire danger has closed Mystic tomorrow.

A bit more about Yesterday's flights

Yesterday Heike flew for 5 hours doing a 81 km out and return. Fred did the same flight, but a bit faster. Brian Webb flew almost to Wangaratta before turning around and flying 10k back towards Bright. It was a good day.

So another day has passed us by in the Southern Hemisphere.

Stay Tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home