Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Forward Launches are Cool

Chappo Rocks!

Chappo is the only pilot I know who regularly does forward launches off of Mystic, and I don't think I have seen him mess one up yet. The best days in Bright have a south influence - and on a south, launch is often windless, and it could go over the back at anytime, shutting down the day - exactly like today was.

Because it's the holidays, we have heaps of pilots in Bright right now, and today launch was mostly nil wind and pilots were set up 3 deep, 6-7 pilots abreast, and no one was going. No one going, no where to layout, hotter than hell, CU popping 4000 ft overhead, 4 gliders spinning up in front of launch, and no one is getting off launch because they all want an up the face cycle...

From the launch slot highest up the hill, Chappo does a perfect forward, and then I get in a forward, and then Heike gets one, and we all spin up in 3 different cores, and everyone else stands on launch, wearing 3 layers deep, sweating like pigs, and no one is getting off launch because they all want an up the face cycle...

Thanks a ton Alex for holding up my wing - that makes it the second forward I have done on my wing, and I was sure glad to hit a core right off launch and cool down as I spun up towards base...

Forward launches are a little weird when you never do them, but if a forward launch is what it takes to get off the hill, then that's what it takes...

Today was great in Bright - getting to base a lot and checking out the the tree tops in the Kancoona bowl was a first for me, not sure if I will go that deep any time soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home