Sunday, March 07, 2010

Cool Tools

Since it's been raining for 2 days, so I did some analysis on my flight on Task 1.  Geoff Wong's online comp scoring program has been in use in Oz for a couple of years now, all the Cat 2 comps use it.  Because pilots upload their own tracks, anyone can download anyone else's track.  


Once you have the igc file for the flight you want to compare yours too, you can use gps visualizer to convert it to a klm and then look at it along side your flight in google earth.  In gps visualizer, be sure to set altitude to Absolute (for flights) or your track will be clamped to the ground.


What I saw my track doing was taking lines that required 2 more climbs than the leader to reach the same turnpoint, no wonder I was slow.  Well, that and I completely stuffed the pig on the start.  I also saw the leader hitting a thermal after each transition, just when he needed a climb, and then doing 10 or less turns and off on glide again, rinse and repeat... what a sweet flight, no drama.


stayed tuned

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home