Wednesday, July 01, 2009

RAT RACE TASK 4

What a bizarre day. The buzz about today's conditions started a couple days ago... I think the world epic was heard, and off the chart, and so forth. On launch, we came up with 2 tasks, one 70+ Km, and a shorter one. But the wind techs could barely get above launch, and we ended up changing the task 3 times, each time making it shorter. The start got pushed back to 3:15.

Woodrat LZ 1 km
Woodrat launch 400m
Burnt Rigde 400m
Rabies Peak 1.5km
Cemetary 1 km
Donato - Goal

The task above was perfect in the end, worth 973 points to Brian Webb who crossed first. My day was very interesting - unlike yesterday, today I stuck to the game plan, stay high and keep a handful of gliders in front. It sort of worked, but the handful of gliders turned into 3 gliders, and about 10k out the way ahead grinded to a halt, and the full on survival fest began... only 2 gliders ahead now, and Paul pulls off the low save, with me 150 below missing the bubble. I went on glide to the last trigger source which was bubbling and I made 5-6 turns, started to climb, and then it was gone.

Now on the ground, I watch a few gliders join the leaders, and survive, and a few drop out, and then a giant mob of gliders drifts across the last leg, high and in a slow but boaty line. 22 in goal. A LTF 2 class glider came in second, amazing.

This is my first comp on a comp glider, and while I am really enjoying having the ability to be in the lead gaggle, I am also realizing that on days like today, it is a double edged sword - you are blazing the trail and if the trail disappears, you got to bush wack. But more than that, when the trail disappears, sometimes the essence of paragliding becomes crystal clear, we bungle through a sky full of invisible thermals and it is so amazing how often we bungle into lift or pull off low saves...

Tomorrow's plan is to embrace my inner loser! TEAM LOSER, I LOVE YOU GUYS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home